April is stress awareness month. With all the new beginnings in spring, it also brings along a few stresses too, such as new after school/work activities for the kids and yourself, spring cleaning and house maintenance, and of course spring also brings along more yard work 🙂
The best way to handle stress is to recognize it when it begins and learn stress relieving techniques or activities.
De- stressing can come in many forms:
- go for a walk in the park and breathe in the fresh spring air
- take a book outside and read under a tree
- watch a comedy, laughter is a great mood lifter.
- deep breathing techniques, Yoga and/or meditation
- start a flower or vegetable garden, which can be quite relaxing and grounding for some
- grab a few friends for a game of bocce ball
- share a tea moment or two with friends or with a favourite book or your journal
- listening to your favourite music, turn it up and sing or dance along 🙂
And the benefits are many – here are just a few ways a time out from stress can improve your health:
- Lower your blood pressure
- Improves your immune system, helping to fight against cold and flus
- Lowers inflammation, helping with asthma & arthritis symptoms
- Helps with irritable bowel syndrome symptoms
- Aids the healing process
- Reduces skin flare ups
Relaxation can be anything that you enjoy that takes your mind away from your stressful situations.