January is National Hot Tea Month. A hot and healthy tea moment is welcome at any time of day or year, but especially in the cold winter months. Here is one of our favourite hot and healthy infusions:
Lemon, Ginger and Raw Honey Infusion
- 3-4 ginger slices
- ½ lemon squeezed
- raw honey to taste
- add all into your Libre glass, add hot water – steep, sip and enjoy
- best flavour is after 5 minutes
- waiting to add honey till steam disappears maximizes its healthy properties – otherwise the flash-heating decreases nutritional strength of the honey.
Alternative: add a teaspoon of green tea leaves (or 1 tea bag) to the ginger and water; steep and continue as above.
Here are just a few of the health benefits:
– Aids digestion helping with nausea, gastrointestinal disorders and upset stomachs
– Boosts your immune system be breaking down accumulated toxins in your organs and lymphatic system
– Has anti-pain and anti-inflammatory properties
– Has high levels of Vitamin C which helps to fight off and prevent colds and flus
– Works as a diuretic, flushing out bacteria and toxins from the body
– Helps ease toothaches, bleeding gums and bad breath
– has anti-viral, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal properties
– sooths sore throats, is a cough suppressant and when used in a vaporiser can relieve stuffed noses
– is a great sleep aid by promoting the release of melatonin in the brain
Be mindful of your honey – local is best – there are current concerns about honey-flavored corn syrup being sold as honey.